This stately home, now the property of the Williamson County Old Settlers Association was built in 1912 by Swedish pioneer Andrew J. Palm, whose family occupied it for 63 years.  Mary Palm and Marguetete Stockman resided there until 1975 when they moved to the Trinity Luthern Home in Round Rock, Texas.  The home remained unoccupied until 1983 when the Williamson County Old Settlers Association acquired the property.  Immediate measures were taken to protect the residence from further vandalism and deterioration.  A complete restoration was begun in 1999 and completed in 2003.  The old barn and several outbuildings remain much as they were in 1975.
Andrew J. Palm arrived in Round Rock in 1853 with his mother and three brothers, settling in this area which was later to become known as Palm Valley.  After purchasing acreage, the family camped in tents and wagons along Brushy Creek for many months until the boys could build a modest dwelling and clear the land for farming.
Born Anders Johan Palm on December 20, 1839, in Barkeryd Parish, Smaland, Sweden, Andrew was the fourth of six sons born to Anders and Anna Hurd Palm.  Andrew's uncle, Swante Palm, had come to Texas in 1844, and was engaged in an immigration partnership with his nephew, S.M. Swenson.  It was under the auspices of these two entrepreneurs that Andrew's father brought his family from Sweden to Fort Bend County, Texas in 1848.
One year after their arrival, Anders died of cholera.  In 1849  40-year old Anna and her sons began a long, courageous journey which would not come to an end until their arrival in Williamson County four years later.
After Andrew's service in the Confederate Army his cattle business prospered, and he purchased the present homestead where he built his first home in 1873.  It was in this home where his mother died in 1878, and he brought his bride, Carolina Nelson, after their marriage in 1875.  Andrew's and Carolina's children were born in this much smaller and far less pretentious structure of cypress and pine.
Of Andrew and Carolina's ten children only three married, and of the three only Esther had issue.  Ester's son, William Kelly, was the last heir to the Palm Estate.  Both he and his mother died in California. 
Andrew's son Edward and Daughter Edna died in childhood - he in 1888 and she in 1890.  Of those who lived in Andrew's second home, Nora died in 1960, both Anna and Lewis died in 1962.   Ruth Price and Tilda in 1971, and Mary in 1978.  Mary and the youngest, Marguerete Stockman, who had returned home after her husband's death in 1958, died in Trinity Luthern Home in Round Rock in 1983.
After the new home was built, the old one was used to store old trunks and items brought from Sweden, furniture, and other unused items.  In 1975, the sisters Mary and Marguerete donated it to the City of Round Rock.  It was moved to it's present location on Main Street where it now serves as a museum and entryway to the offices of the Chamber of Commerce.  It is one of the few remaining structures symbolizing the industrious Swedish families who immigrated to this area in the last half of the 19th century.
The Palm Mansion is leased full-time for the offices of a corporation, and is not available for events.  The grounds around the Palm Mansion, inside the white picket fence, are not accessible to the public.
Tel.: 512-388-1733

3300 Palm Valley Boulevard
Round Rock TX
Mon-Sat 9:00AM-5:00PM
Closed Sunday & Tuesday
RV's - Please find an empty site and fill out an information card in black mailbox and place in drop box below